Wednesday, February 02, 2005

SPB Clone Revisited

My experience with Clone has been an unfortunate one so far, and I want to warn you to be careful. It did not restore everything that should have been copied to it across two Dell Axim X50v’s. Let me say that I am a big fan of SPB Software and have written many favorable reviews, but this Clone thing has me as flustered as a wet cat.

When I sent a query to the company explaining my quandary step by step, the response was, “Read the manual.” I hope the person who penned that thoughtful reply will have a short career in the technical support business. I had already read the manual, and it did not address any of my issues.

Oh well, I thought, I’ll just forget about it, move on, and restore my original system backed up on a Proporta backup SD card. Not. When I put the card in the slot, it’s supposed to start up automatically. Guess what started up automatically? Yup, it was Clone. But, how could that be? I had removed it. So, I went into the registry and deleted every instance I could find that had anything to do with Clone.

There, that should do it. I did a soft reset just to make sure, plugged in the Proporta restore card, and sure enough, up comes Clone. How could that be? Well, no problem, I’ll just do a hard reset, that will fix it, and then I can restore the system from the SD card.

Omigod! Clone was still there after a HARD reset like the worst cancer after radiation. Clone is an evil virus, and I caution you about using it.

I’ve apprised SPB of my dilemma and await their response hoping they have a fix. Meanwhile I remain infected and unable to expunge this malicious phantasm that haunts my handheld. Maybe I’ll try to find a priest this afternoon and have him perform an exorcism. I’ll let you know how it turns out.

No comments: