Sunday, November 30, 2008

Winterface version 1.2 now available

clip_image002It seems Vito Technology never rests, and as a reviewer I have a difficult time keeping up with their updates and innovations. Not long ago I wrote a review of Winterface when it first appeared. Most of the operational and layout features are the same in the new version. For a detailed discussion of the features, I refer you to my previous review: http://www.smartphonemag.com/cms/blog/108/place-winterface-your-desktop.

Here are the new features, improvements, and bug fixes reported by Vito in a recent press release:

  • Today plug-in
  • add favorite web sites
  • Portrait\landscape mode icon switch
  • Screens rotation with joystick
  • "Close All" button in "Running"
  • Clock icon shows indicator when the alarm is on
  • SMS-Chat icon shows number of new text messages
  • Bluetooth status icon toggles Bluetooth on/off with one press
  • Battery icon shows when there is low charge
  • Alphabetic ruler for quick scrolling when adding a file
  • Bug with notification not visible under the lock screen
  • Bug with power icon on HTC Touch HD/ PalmTreo Pro/ Samsung i900
  • Winterface lock screen no longer interferes with the default lock screen
  • Day of the week is displayed below the date on Calendar icon and the indicator of upcoming events doesn't close the date

I installed Winterface on two WM 6.1 devices to test it: Palm 800w and WMg Zinc II. On neither device could I get the Lock Screen to appear. That is an opening page that is supposed to appear when you turn on the device; it displays the day, time, date, with a padlock that you must slide to the right to unlock the screen. It appears in the screen shot above, but, it didn’t appear for me.

On the Zinc II, a Winterface bar appeared on the Today screen that would invoke the program by tapping it. No such bar appeared on the Treo 800w—curiously different behaviors. I also found that after installing the program, my Zinc II tended to lock up. I believe that there was a conflict between Mobile Shell and Winterface, for the problem disappeared when I removed Mobile Shell. I guess you are more or less forced choose one or the other. Fortunately, they are both good programs that will enhance user experience.

Few, if any, of my wishes in my review seem to have been addressed. But those were merely my opinion. For instance, I thought the somber black and white color scheme was like watching black and white TV. I also lamented that it was not possible to nest files within folders for better organization and easy access as you can in other shells such as SPB Mobile Shell.

You may try it for a 15 days free or purchase it for $19.95. Upgrades from the previous version are $4.95. To check it out, visit www.iwindowsmobile.com.

No comments: