Friday, January 15, 2010

Draping the Droid

clip_image002

Whenever I get a new pocket pal, one of the first things I do is search for a suitable suit of armor to protect it from the nasties lurking in my pocket and in my gadget bag. But it can’t be just any old suit off the rack. I detest holsters or anything that attaches to and dangles from the belt. I like something that is form-fitting and sleek without any bumps, clips, or extraneous protuberances. You’d think it wouldn’t be too difficult, but there are some really clunky cases out there with flaps, magnets, Velcro, clips, pockets, swivels, zippers, and snaps.

As the Motorola Droid is relatively new, there are not a whole lot of accessories for it on the market yet. I realized I would probably have to be content with a sort of generic case or maybe just a tube sock from WalMart. But after a fairly thorough search without much success, I came to my favorite case place, Proporta.com. Lo and behold, I found the perfect case; it fit all my specifications as listed above. Ecstatic, I was getting ready to place an order when my wife handed me the mail.

Now you’re not going to believe this, but in the bundle of mail there was a package from Proporta. And guess what. The very case I was about to order, which was still up on the screen, came tumbling out of the package. How did they know?

Talk about spontaneous serendipity and convenient coincidence. It makes me a true believer in the Law of Attraction. But sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for because you just may get it. However, in this case, it was the perfect case, and it was a perfect fit.

clip_image004

 

 

 

 

 

 

By the way, did you know that Proporta’s logo is the armadillo? Proporta is in the UK, and, as far as I know, there isn’t an armadillo within 5000 miles. They don’t even exist on the continent of Europe, but I suppose they must be in zoos there. They are strictly a New World species distributed from Texas to South America. In Texas they are called speed bumps.

Did you know that, as a defensive mechanism, armadillos can jump up to four feet in the air? I think this is why they are such common road kill in Texas, not that people purposely run over them all the time. Did you know that armadillos mate in the missionary position? Ok, that’s probably more than you wanted to know about armadillos.

So why is the armadillo a logo for a UK company that supplies digital accessories? Actually, it’s a pretty good name for a company that offers cases to protect digital gadgets. In Spanish, armadillo means the little armored one.

clip_image006

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

In Mexico, they make little guitars out of armadillo shells. Maybe Proporta should import them and start selling armadillo guitars. Just to be up to date, they could offer electric armadillo guitars. Then they could even offer cases for them too.

The handsome cases that Proporta presents for the Droid come in three colors: tan, black, and pink with suede-like contrasting interiors. Constructed of high-quality, soft, imitation leather, this Maya II case has a lifetime warranty and measures 65 x 120 x 15 mm. On the back is a small, flush metal ring that can be used with a lanyard (sold separately for $3.95).

At $20.95, it is not the least expensive case on the market, but I think it is a good value compared to other bulky cases that can cost more than twice as much. Delivery is fast, reliable, and inexpensive. Check it out at http://www.proporta.com/F02/PPF02P05.php?t_id=4863&t_mode=des.

Case closed, the Droid is armored.

No comments: