Sunday, December 07, 2008

Amazing, Blazing Tiny 8GB Pico USB drive

 

clip_image002 I don’t know about you, but I gave up on thumb drives a long time ago. I have a drawer full of under capacitated thumb drives of 64-256 MB. I figured they were called thumb drives because they stuck out like a sore thumb, and I was always afraid they would get broken off. Instead I’ve favored the larger capacity of SD cards for portable and expansion purposes. However, there’s a new kid on the block, and his name is Pico. This little guy has an 8 GB capacity and only sticks out of your computer about an inch. He got my attention immediately and won me over for several reasons.

What attracted me first was his generous storage. I also liked Sr. Pico’s diminutive size. When I first saw him peering through the package, I thought oh, oh, his USB plug is unprotected and could get damaged easily. When I finally managed to cut him free with a hijacker’s box knife and began to play with him, I realized that there was a guard that slides over the contact points to protect them. Very nice. Then I turned him over and saw that the metal case extended to the end of the USB contact tab. How could it fit into a standard USB slot? Normally a USB device fits over and around the protruding plastic tongue inside the female port. Pico’s tab is only half size and slides under the plastic tongue.

Then I noticed the lanyard hole in the device and discovered a short connector designed to fit on a key ring, mobile phone, or lanyard. The Pico is fully armored and geared to travel. There’s a lot to like about this new kid on the block. Check him out at www.supertalent.com.

When you visit the Website, you will notice that there is a whole Pico family of different capacities ranging from 1-8 G. They are all water resistant and weight less than 6g with up to 30 MB (200X) data transfer rate. They are all USB 20.0 and 1.1 compatible, plug and play with up to 10 years data retention.

clip_image004 The one I reviewed above is known as the Pico E, which is a capless, rugged, nickel plated model with a sliding lid. If you want to get fancy or wear it as jewelry, it comes in a 24K gold plated version. Other models include Pico A that swivels open, Pico B is retractable, Pico C is capless and comes as a nickel plated or gold plated model, and Pico D swivels open.

While you cannot purchase these products from the manufacturer’s Website, they are available from NewBiz, New Egg, and SuperMedia Stores. The Pico C goes for the incredibly reasonable price of only $31.88, which is amazing for 8 GB of storage. I found a gold plated one for only $39.95.

If you want inexpensive mega-storage in a small package half the size of a standard SD card, you will want to acquire the new Super Talent Pico flash drive in one form or another.

No comments: