Saturday, December 06, 2008

My Treo 800w gets a new suit

 

clip_image002After investing in a decent PDA, it’s a good idea to protect your new pocket pal with some suitable armor. I have been known to jam a handset into my pocket without thinking along with keys or some other sharp object and massacre the screen. Long ago I ran out of pocket space for lugging around my toys and peripherals and now use a gadget bag. My wife calls it my purse. Purse or bag, it’s never a good idea just to throw your phone in there unprotected.

Some folks don’t mind having a phone dangling on their belt. I cannot abide that and prefer a sleek case without a clip that will fit into my ditty bag.

The Treo 800w is a wee tad smaller than its predecessor the 750w, so none of the cases I had acquired quite fit right and the unit tends to rattle around in the larger case. It took some doing to find just the right case, but I finally found one that I really like. It comes from the MobiHand site and is manufactured by RexRegina Harrison. Crafted from fine Italian leather, the quality of the workmanship is superb with precision stitching.

It’s a classic, black leather, vertical slip case that also comes in brown. I can quickly and conveniently slide my phone into it and be assured that it is protected from scratches, bumps, falls, and crunches. There are openings on the left, right, and top for access to buttons and ports. Of course you must remove it to use the front panel. But, that is not an issue. I’ve found it to be quite the opposite with some cases and miss calls while I struggle to remove the phone.

If you are looking for a compact, sophisticated, no-nonsense case with a lot of class to protect and enhance your pocket pal, I highly recommend this one. To get yours, go to the MobiHand site at http://tinyurl.com/58l56a. The price is $39.95, which I deem reasonable for the quality of this product. Note that I’ve seen the same case elsewhere for as high as $50. Don’t be put off by the photo showing it with a 700w in it complete with ugly antenna. This case really is for an 800w. However, because it is a slip case, it will accommodate a wide range of devices with similar dimensions. It is also shown in five colors, but it reality, is currently available only in dark brown and black.

My one criticism is that it has no opening on the bottom for inserting in a cradle or plugging in a charger or headphones. Otherwise, it’s a perfect case for my purposes.

No comments: