Sunday, December 07, 2008

Dressing up the Sansas

clip_image002My interest in eAudiobooks that you can download for free from almost any public library these days has spurred me to experiment with MP3 players that allow bookmarking, which is essential to a satisfactory audiobook experience so that you don’t lose your place. Two that I found perfect, petite, and powerful are the Sansa Clip and the Sansa Fuze, both with 8 GB storage capacity for very reasonable prices. See my previous reviews.

My next project was to get them some protection in the form of a case, but that was easier said than done. Finally, my old friend Proporta.com came to the rescue with a custom designed case for each device.

For the Sansa Clip, I procured a nifty, grey, silicone case. When I removed it from the package, I wondered how in the world was I going to fit the Clip into the case. The small openings for access to buttons and ports were way too small. Hoping it wouldn’t rip or tear anything, I bravely started to stretch the flexible case over the Clip. In no time at all, I had managed to stuff it in without any apparent damage. But, would it snap back into shape or be like a pair of socks around your ankles with no elastic. There was no need for concern whatsoever, for the case snugly reconformed to the body of the Clip no worse for wear.

At first I was concerned about the fact that the case covered the power switch and navigation button on the front. But when I turned it on, it glowed right through the translucent case, and it was easy to use.

Now I feel ever-so-much better knowing that my precious little Clip is protected from the abuse I inadvertently deliver.

clip_image004For the larger, but still sleek, Fuze, I found that Proporta had one of its signature Alu-Leather flip type leather cases available. I have used this model of case for many other devices over the years, and found them to be uber secure with the aluminum shield to protect the screen. I was glad to have one now for guarding the wellbeing of my Fuze.

There are two grips about ¾ of an inch long that securely grasp the unit on both sides in the middle. A flap containing the aluminum shields folds over the screen. From the back a strap with snap secures the case shut. It makes a tidy, handsome package.

On the back is a loop for a lanyard, which is supplied in the package so you can wear it around your neck. This is a nice feature because, unlike the Clip that you can attach anywhere, sometimes there is a problem of where to put the Fuze, especially if you don’t have pockets.

The Clip silicone case is $19.95, and the Fuze leather case is $34.95.

I think of Proporta as the case place, for they can cover just about any handheld device imaginable from PDAs to Cameras, to MP3s to phones. Visit www.proporta.com to check out their fine wares where you will discover an array of other accessories plus a repair shop all tax free with overnight delivery and a free present of your choice.

No comments: