Sunday, January 09, 2005

Daily Fog

Voice Command 1.5

Voice Command by Microsoft has come out with a new version 1.5, which is apparently designed for WMSE. I installed it on my Dell Axim X50v into the main memory. I hate it when I am forced to put programs in the main memory. I think I'll experiment with how well it works in the internal memory and on a storage card. It seems to me that I have to have the microphone closer to my mouth in order for my commands to be understood. Nevertheless, it's pretty cool being able to boss my pocket servant around and have him faithfully do my bidding by telling me my contacts, bringing up a contact, dialing a phone number, or playing my music by name or genre. This is especially important for safety considerations while driving a car.

Toshiba Portege M205 Tablet PC

I finally acquired one of these models after getting broken into the Tablet world on a Portege 3500, which quickly became the mother ship for my Pocket PC when on the road. I'm looking forward to kicking the tires of the M205 and writing about my experiences.

It also came with a docking station that looked like a…well I don't know quite how to describe it, but I'm going to be putting it all together today and will try it out this weekend. I'm going to treat myself to a new external keyboard just for use with this docking station. Should it be Bluetooth or USB. Hmm…we'll see.

Micro Innovations Wireless Keyboard and Optical Mouse

Bluetooth, for me, has not always been the most reliable means of connection. Because I already have a wireless keyboard on my desktop, I decided to get one for the new Toshiba Portege Tablet PC M205 in its docking station. I ended up with a one from Micro Innovations that came with a wireless Optical Mouse as well for $29 at WalMart. The box had a crossed out price $118, which made me feel pretty good. While I was at Staples a few minutes later, I noticed the same keyboard for $49, which made me feel even better.

Setting it up consisted of installing drivers from a CD, plugging in the remote sensor to a USB or PS2 port, inserting batteries in the keyboard and mouse, and pressing the sync buttons. I was in business in just a few minutes. Both components functioned beautifully without a hitch.

No comments: